Email Marketing Is Still #1
When I speak to prospective clients, the topic of email marketing and whether it is worth the effort often comes up. We inevitably discuss given how popular social media is, how quickly mobile marketing is rising and other up-and-coming communication methods, but there is always some skepticism about email marketing. It is true that social media is very popular and mobile marketing is growing. However, the fact is, email marketing is still the leading marketing channel by a wide margin and is the most effective marketing method in the United States. Consider these email marketing facts:
- For every $1 spent on email marketing, $44.25 is the AVERAGE return(source: EmailExpert)
- Email conversation rates are 3x higher than social media (source: McKinsey & Company)
- Email marketing yields an approximate 4,300% return on investment for businesses in the United States (source: Direct Marketing Association)
- Companies using email to nurture leads generate 50% more sales-ready leads and at 33% lower cost (source: Hubspot)
- Email is 40 TIMES BETTER than Facebook and Twitter at acquiring customers (source: McKinsey & Company)
- 70% of people say they ALWAYS open emails from their favorite companies (source: ExactTarget)
- 91% of consumers check the email AT LEAST ONCE PER DAY from their smartphone, making it the most used functionality on the phone (source: ExactTarget)
- 64% of decisions makers (B2B) read emails via mobile devices (source: EmailExpert).
The fact is, whether it is B2B or B2C, email is still the most popular and productive form of marketing. However, it can also be the most challenging given the sheer number of emails individuals receive each day; getting lost in the crowd can happen easily. According to Chadwick Martin Bailey (one of the largest strategic consulting and brand awareness companies in the country), the two biggest factors in a successful email are WHO the email is from and the SUBJECT LINE.
Here are some tips on how to improve your email marketing:
- Segment your email marketing lists
- Make your emails mobile friendly
- Have email blast come from a real person, not a “No Reply” email address
- Make your subject line compelling, but to the point
- Have a clear call to action (aka…give readers a legitimate next step to follow)
- Be succinct…give readers opportunity to read or learn more (much like the email I sent you)
- Add a UTM code
Not sure how to do any of the above? Want to enhance or start an email marketing program? Let Ward Marketing Consulting help. Contact me today at 440-488-4719 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
I have been fortunate to have spent my entire career in marketing, from my first job as a marketing assistant & graphic designer, to creating the strategic direction and overseeing a team of marketing professionals for a $200-Million company.
My marketing experiences, successes and failures are the foundation on which I started Ward Marketing Consulting, and it is my goal to take what I've learned and apply it to each and every one of my clients.
If you're looking for a marketing consultant to provide an objective look at your marketing efforts, need a strategy for your digital marketing plan, or simply need help executing the plan, please contact me today!